Good Divorce Week 2020
Good Divorce Week 2020 took place earlier this month, but we believe that it should be entitled ‘Good Divorce Year’ as our ethos is to try and ensure that our clients and their spouses have the best and most amicable divorce possible, no matter what time of year it is. In fact ‘Good Divorce Week’ is a campaign run by Resolution the group of Family Lawyers, of which I am a member, who campaign on all family issues that affect everyone in our society. We promote the idea of constructive and non-confrontational approach to family law disputes, including Divorce & Separation, Matrimonial and Family Finances and conflicts surrounding the Children. We also campaign for a change in the law where we think change is necessary. A fine example of this is the campaign for a no-fault divorce process which it is believed will remove a lot of the anger and bitterness which is caused by having to state your spouse’s ‘behaviour’ in the petition. We expect this change to come into force in 2021 but no fixed date is known, as yet.
Our Code of Practice reflects our intention to a constructive approach to manage our client’s family issues and consider the needs of the whole family rather than just one party. All Resolution members sign up to the Code of Practice and implement it in our day to day work. We aim to:
- Reduce any conflict or confrontation by not using inflammatory language.
- Support and encourage families to put the best interests of the children first
- Act with honest, integrity and objectivity
- Help clients understand and manage the potential long-term financial and emotional consequences of decisions
- Listen to and treat everyone with respect and without judgement
- Use our experience and knowledge to guide clients through the options available to them
- Continually develop our knowledge and skills
- To use Resolution Guides to Good Practice in our day to day work.
If you require any family law assistance please do not hesitate to contact me (Frances Bedbrook-Kelly) at Garden House Solicitors on 01992 422128.